Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Inspirational Elevator Challenge #18: Nostolgic

/s180/IEbutton.jpg" style="visibility: visible;" width="107" /> You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges our new Inspiration Elevator Blog, here.
We are also pleased to welcome Denise Morrison and her stunning artistic style back to Inspiration Elevator.
Our challenge this month comes from the very talented Lisa Spiegel . Here's what she had to say in her very own words: "October is my favorite month of the year. Hands down. The temperatures here in Southern California finally start to drop, we wear a light sweater, maybe even a little boot. We pull out the scarves and the leggings and put away the capris and tank tops. Leaves begin to change and we prepare for Halloween! My whole house is decorated, from top to bottom, and it is no small feat. I even swap out my dishes and serving ware in preparation for Fall and Halloween and I love to just keep the festivities going all the way through the Thanksgiving and then holiday season. My house will not return to "normal" until January. So, Lisa, tell us, how does this relate to a scrapbooking challenge? Well, what I've found over the years is my scrapping even changes over the holidays. I layer more. Reach for the bling and really dig deep to embellish with meaningful objects. Journal my thoughts and stories and feelings. Fall just make me nostalgic. So here is the challenge. Create a layout that is nostalgic...the feeling should be evident from the title, the visible journaling and the embellishments you choose. Choose deliberately and with purpose to tell your nostalgic story. I can't wait to see how you interpret this challenge!"

I thought long and hard on this challenge, it was one of the toughest Inpiration Elevator challenges yet!
I finally chose to do a layout about my daughter, Sierra. She has been fighting some issues since February and I thought she was doing well, but my world came crashing down on July 28th. I decided to scrap the days before this happened, those happy times. I am not going to share my journaling, as it is very personal and I won't let her read it for at least a few years.

I used the Pebbles Family Ties line for this layout and added some water waves using a stencil, light modeling paste and Glimmer Mist to emphasize the ROUGH WATERS AHEAD title:

 
Here are a few close ups:





I hope you will stop by and see what the rest of the incredible Inspiration Elevator designers have created:
Lisa Spiegel
Joanne Burton
Laurel Seabrook
Jodi Wilton
Michelle Hernandez
Ann Jobes
Laura Whitaker
Lisa Moen (YOU ARE HERE)
Christa Uttley
Guest Designer Denise Morrison

If you feel inspired to play along with Lisa's challenge this month, please share it using the linky tool on our Inspiration Elevator blog and/or our Inspiration Elevator Facebook page. We'd LOVE to see what you made!

13 comments :

  1. Wonderful layout, love the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your fun page, great papers and colors to use!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great layout, love the paper and hoping it did some healing for you, in the process

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love LOVE the ripped borders and the varied alphabets!!! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous layout, Lisa!! I LOVE this line ~ also LOVE the way you angled the frame over the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the products you chose. The colors and patterns are fabulous! This is an absolute favorite of all your layouts Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty...I hope it was cathartic for you to get it on paper and sending gentle ((hugs)) to you, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours in this layout, that being said, whatever troubled waters, I hope things are looking up for you and your daughter... I hope this challenge helped you heal and embrace whatever the situation is

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I can't imagine the feelings you put down on that journaling. This page is terrific, though. Great symbolism behind your paper border waves, to go with your title. Peace and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your page and your title, I hope that scrapping it offers you a little therapy. Hugs to you! This mom stuff sure can be hard work at times!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your page is fabulous and I think you captured your feelings beautifully on this layout! Great use of paper ripping, layering and modeling paste! I pray the rough waters will end in a peaceful and gentle stream full of life and beauty. Hugs~
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful layout and I really admire the way you scrapped your feelings now by focusing on the "before" My heart goes out to you. I have been there myself with kids. Hangs in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, I admire your approach to this, The journey has been very difficult for you and that you were able to reach back to the not to distant past for the joy is wonderful. As for your great design, I am fan of the title and your play on words. It's very meaningful.I love the torn edges too. You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and greatly appreciate them! Thank you for stopping by!