Monday, June 16, 2014

There Is Hope: Inspiration Elevator June Challenge

Welcome to another month of Inspiration Elevator!


Our main purpose here at IE is to challenge ourselves, each other and YOU to take the creative process to the next level;  to inspire growth and change in our scrapbooking beyond the mundane.
You can see all of Inspiration Elevator's previous challenges at our blog and catch us on Facebook and Instagram (soon!) too.

This month's challenge is issued by the innovative Michelle Hernandez. Michelle's style is about telling the story with a clean and simple, yet artsy approach, an awareness of current trends, and garnished with her use of chipboard and often neutral colours. Here is her challenge for us, in her own words:
The challenge for June 15th is- make a public scrapbook page. You are making a page to go up at work or to give away to a family member to put up in their space. In your blog post you will tell us how knowing this page isn't going in a book or in your home changed your style. Did you go all out and make something that is 3D? Did you suppress your love of a particular color or product? How do you feel about the page being public- outside your regular audience of scrapbook lovers who read your blog or open your books at home?


My sister, Connie, was diagnosed with breast cancer back in February and has been going through chemo. She felt good enough to come home over Memorial weekend, so my family got together. Some of us had our "Connie Strong" t-shirts on and decided to get some pics.
For the challenge, I decided to go shabby chic, which is something I have never done before, and create a layout for Connie to display in her home. I choose this route, because I feel shabby chic is hard to get into a page protector because of the bulky flowers and embellies and because I wanted to "create" something for Connie. Also because I have been dying to try the shabby chic look!
How do I feel about the page being public? I am actually very proud of this page! It took me forever to create and I love the outcome, but I have also realized, if I scrapped this way, it would take me forever to finish an album, LOL!

I used My Mind's Kate & Co.(papers), Me & My Big Ideas (breast cancer embellies), Recollection flowers, Heidi Swapp mask and miscellaneous bling.

 
I tried a new technique- wetting the paper, folding it, tearing it and then added ink to the folds:


 
I used light modeling paste with a mask  and then added watercolor to it:


A close up of the flowers:


And a few more close ups:


 
 
Thanks for the wonderful challenge this month Michelle! I love my page!
Here's a complete list of this month's participating designers!  We encourage you to check out each designer's creation this month, then come on back and give the challenge a try yourself!
Lisa Moen You Are Here
Lisa Spiegel
Ann Jobes
Guest Designer: Christy Riopel

We have a couple of regular artists taking a summer hiatus and look forward to the return of Joanne Burton and Christa Uttley in the fall.
Meantime, if you've wanted to participate as a guest designer with Inspiration Elevator, just contact team lead, Ann at ann jobes at bell dot net
Now it's your turn to get creating about art you share publicly, and share your blog link at the IE blog. We would love to see what you were inspired to make! 

7 comments :

  1. Your layout is absolutely gorgeous Lisa!! What a wonderful photograph and I LOVE your paper wetting, folding, inking technique!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great page, this turned out amazing!!!! and sooo pretty!!! love the torn pleated look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous! Love what you did with the pleating and water...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous tribute to your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special gift for your sister - it's so pretty and feminine. The techniques are really neat - love that paper scrunching! Very precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo that is a beautiful page and wonderful gift - I love the crumpling up of the paper to reveal even more gorgeous paper and the pink just pops :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look of the scrunched paper.......a beautiful page and tribute to your sister Lisa.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and greatly appreciate them! Thank you for stopping by!