Friday, March 15, 2013

Inspiration Elevator March Challenge

If you are here for the My Sketch World Blog Hop, scroll down or click here

You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow.

This month, our challenge comes from the very sweet and very talented Joanne Burton. Joanne resides in Waterloo and co-owns a scrapbook store there with her bff. Her scrapbooking style is classicly elegant and always showcases wonderful photos. It's no wonder that her challenge to us is centered around the photo - here is the challenge, in Joanne's own words:
Inspiration Elevator has been such a tremendous experience for me! We have explored our style, stretched our single pages into two, documented our fears and regrets, scrapbooked our beliefs, worked with less than perfect photos and have even gone vintage! Hopefully we have each grown as a result of being a part of this group – I know I have! 

One of the fun things about scrapbooking is working with our photos. We get to pick and choose our favorite photos and have fun recording the memories behind them. So this month, I thought we could stretch our creativity by having some fun with our photos!

I assume we all work with digital photos, so this month’s challenge will work for each of you. I want you to pick a photo and then alter it in some way using your favorite photo editing program. I would like to see something more than just making your photo black & white. Maybe use a special effect, add a frame, play with text, etc. There is so much you can do!

Play with your photo until it conveys a particular look or feel that will help you to express your memories associated with that picture. Then add it to your page! When you post your finished project, please share how you altered your photo, and why you chose the effects you did. (Maybe you could even post a before and after of your photo!)

I hope you will stop by and see what the designers on this adventure have created:

Lisa Spiegel

I really enjoyed this challenge and yes, it was a challenge! I am very computer illiterite , but I am learning every day and have come along way already!
A friend and fellow design team member on a message board I am on has been talking about PicMonkey. She alters photos and makes sketches at PicMonkey. I decided to try it last month and made a few sketches. I don't own Photoshop or any decent photo editing software, so I thought I would give PicMonkey a try at photos.  I love what I did!

Here's my original photo:


I played around with the brightness (-7), shadow (10) and clarity (7%):
 
 
Then I added a Polaroid frame with text on the bottom of it. I then took it a little further and hand tinted one in blue, red and yellow. Well, all I really had to do was push a button ;)
 
Here are the photos:
 


 
and here is my layout using My Mind's Eye Miss Caroline Collection;
 
 
 
 
I will definately be playing more with PicMonkey, I love the outcome! Thanks for the challenge Joanne!
 
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your day with me!

17 comments :

  1. Well isn't ht so super cool! I am going o have to chech out that program! Great layout too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you altered the photos! Great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I love how creative your edits are and how you did several. I am so amazed! Gorgeous Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture treatments! Fabulous page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderfully done! I will definitely check out PicMonkey, too :) How fun. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect collection for these wonderful photos! Pushing a button sounds easy enough, will have to check PicMonkey out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, that layout is fabulous! I love the way you altered the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. super fun and fabulous..love all the different looks you accomplished! Stunning layout!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE LOVE how you altered the photo and then put several of them on the page!!!! looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is really cool .. great job altering photos with picmonkey. Fabulous page

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a GREAT idea! LOVE how you tinted the same photo in different colors...just so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at you go Lisa! Awesome photo editing and I love the polaroid frame!! Your layout is just perfect with your photos - I love all your elements.
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so cool - I'll have to check that PicMonkey out! I love the triple tinted photos with the papers you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you did several edits with your photo - way to take the challenge to another level! That's a great photo of Sierra, too - she's just beautiful! Lovely page! - Ann Jobes, www.lovestnpaper.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very very cool photo effects!! I love that you used three photos that were all the same, but just slightly different colors!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and greatly appreciate them! Thank you for stopping by!